10/04/2015

The beginings...

I think it may be interesting how I met with Waldorf dolls and started my playful and adventures journey in dollmaking.

It it really simple. I have seen some Waldorf style dolls on a Hungarian craft selling page, and I fall in love with it these dolls in that very moment. My husband bought me a doll from that dollmaker for the next Christmas. She is Reka, an always cheerful friend of mine. 

Reka was created by Marta Schnetzer from Stoffpuppe

Next summer I bought the book "Making Waldorf Dolls"  by Maricristin Sealey. To be honest, today I do not use the patterns, or hairstyles shown in this book, but it meant the only basis for me at the beginning. It also tells about the nature of dollmaking and Waldorf dolls, which was really interesting, since I knew nothing about these traditional toys.

I started on with my first "Corner Doll", what I made from an old T-shirt, and soon I created two 20 cm traditional dolls with a borrowed sewing machine. At that time I used materials, that were available, which was quite challenging. At this point, I have to mention, that I had no previous sewing experience at all. I struggled with the not so perfect supplies and my own inexperience, but I made a doll for my sister as a Christmas present. He had far too long arms, and was no perfect at all, but I was happy with him, although I really struggled with some steps of sewing him.

Next year from an academic contest price I bought my own sewing machine, but it was long before the next doll came. I had concentrated on my studies, got married, moved to a different part of the country and started working as an engineer.

In 2013 December I realised, I promised a doll for X, and two for Y, so in the end I had to make four dolls, in a short period of time. All were Christmas presents for sweet little kids, moreover, one of them was made for my God-daughter. At this time, I knew a bit more about sewing and I could buy better materials, which made the creating process more joyful then ever before. 

I think these four little figures meant the turning point, and I felt so motivated and enthusiastic. In the beginning of 2014, I searched as much information on the web as I can, and was really impressed with some talented dollmakers work, such as Fig&Me, Fröken Skicklig, Poppenliefde, Petit Gosset or Marias Nature Toys. 


The spring found me endlessly thinking and talking about dolls, designing limbed doll patterns, learning crocheting and knitting. The idea of this blog occurred to me approximately a year ago as well, so I started planning logos, collecting name ideas. During the summer I made my first large limbed doll, but I wanted to try out everything, so I made many many investigations, made many mistakes and changed my mind again and again, until she became ready in the beginning of this summer. Sometimes weeks went by me, without making a stitch, sometimes I advanced with triple speed. Later on I will write 2-3 post about her, and the making process, so stay tuned! Lot of sweet memory, many good and some hard experiences are connected to her creation.

And now here I am, I feel ready to show my work to the public. I hope some of you will find these dolls nice and loveable, and maybe also find it joyful to read about dolls, who are always ready to play! 


No comments:

Post a Comment